Wednesday, January 1, 2014

ONE LAYER SIMPLICITY CHALLENGE

Being restricted to only one layer really is a challenge for me!  I do like how this one turned out, however--in spite of the fact that I could have used the matching die cut ;)

To start, I masked the card with a 4x5" piece with the oval cut out and sponged a background with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink.  Next I stamped the image and colored the bird and branches with chalks.  I then stamped "thanks" (a little too far to the left than I intended) and finished by coloring the berries with a Jelly Roll pen.

To bring out the white of the bird, I used the Picket Fence Distress marker which covers the blue ink from the background nicely.

This stamp is a favorite of mine since we have so many Black Capped Chickadees at our bird feeder.


8 comments:

Karen Dunbrook said...

beautiful card...so happy you could play along with our new blog challenge.

Bonnie said...

I love the chickadee! We have a lot of the Carolina Chickadees at our feeder. They are smaller than their northern cousins and whisk in and out lickety split! Happy New Year!

Terri Trotter Earley said...

I am digging the shading and the focus you were able to put on the bird. Awesome OLC!!!

Corina said...

This is beautiful

Susan Raihala said...

Doris, this is gorgeous, and I love the sentiment placement, especially the way the bird is looking at it and his beak directs the eye to it perfectly. Awesome unity. And of course the coloring is so very pretty!

I have that picket fence white marker and haven't used it yet. You inspire me!!!

Thanks for playing the OLS challenge and taking on One Layer with such a fab card!

karen h said...

Gorgeous card! Love the sponged/masked oval frame! Perfect one-layer card!

Christine M said...

Beautiful OLC ... using the sponged oval to highlight your delicately coloured bird is really pretty - perfect CAS card :)

Sarah Ashley Posch said...

I love your masking with the bird. Perfect!