Monday, April 28, 2008
Here is my CASE of the card that Kristina posted on her blog (noted below.) If you haven't visited her site yet, don't wait another day--she has such great ideas, and her videos for Make-a-Card-Monday are terrific!
My version of her MACM for today is a 4" square with matching envelope.
For the flower on the front, I used Versamark ink and chalk. For the one on the tag, I used markers directly on the stamp (Barely Banana and Really Rust) and spritzed the stamp with water for a water-color effect.
Thank you Kristina for your great design! (Check out her video at www.kwernerdesign.com/blog.)
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Sunday, April 13, 2008
At the Stamp Show yesterday, I purchased a DVD at Stamps By Judith. She's the lady who was seen many times on the Carol Duvall Show with her little peg stamps and huge talent. We got to meet her in person and watch her create at her booth. One of my purchases there was her 2-hour DVD. This card is the result!
In addition to stamping techniques, she stresses several ways to enhance stamped artwork, such as using a light gray marker to make the image pop. Another is the use of a stamp with little dots to fill in some of the open areas around an image. Both are shown here, though faintly. (Click to enlarge.)
I'm really enjoying her DVD and hope to incorporate more of her tips in future projects!
Stamps by TAC (which would NOT make Judith proud...)
Saturday, April 12, 2008
I just got in from the Stamp Show in Pennsylvania where Joan, Evelyn, Mary and I spent almost the whole day and spent our whole budget too (and then some!) My feet are killing me, but it was worth it. I got lots of new paper, a few new stamps, and tons of new ideas.
The Paper Cut had a make-and-take using their acetate and cardstock. The deer on this card is actually a photo that was printed on the acetate and mounted between black and tan cardstocks. I stamped the quote with gold metallic ink and assembled with brads and double-stick tape. Easy!
Friday, April 11, 2008
...now that Spring is here! I just ordered assorted packets of cardstock from SU with lots of pastels and look forward to using them for flower themed cards over the next few months.
Meanwhile, I used the last few dark green cards with flowers as a hint of what's to come.
First, there's another fern card from the preparations for my workshop. I like the way it came out, but thought it may have too many steps for a class. (See posts below.)
The rose card was done with 2 stamps I bought used from a Silver Stamper friend, and I just love them both. The rose leaves look very realistic, and I anticipate using them often. I sponged the edges of the white cardstock to soften it. The rose was done with watercolor crayons directly on the stamp, then a spritz of water to give it a watercolor look. The crystal center added a little bling. I'll use the card to thank my friend for making such a nice pair of stamps available.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
My computer went down (again!)this week, so I haven't been able to post. That doesn't mean I haven't been busy creating, though!
First, I put together a bunch of cards/kits for my workshop next Saturday. I'm calling it "Six on Saturday" for $10, which just covers my cost. I try to keep it affordable and fun. My idea for this one is to use The Enveloper to make 2 of the envelopes, one out of each 12x12" dp sheet. It'll be like a One Sheet Wonder, but since a large portion will go for an envelope, they'll just get 3 out of each sheet. Everyone will start off with a sheet of a fern design, but get a choice of designs for the next set. For those of you who'd like to follow, here's how it works:
1. Cut an 8x8" square for the first envelope. This will leave you with 2 strips: one that's 4x8" and one that's 4x12". Use the 8x8" to make an envelope with The Enveloper.
2. Cut the 4x8" strip in half to make 2 squares 4x4" to line the flaps of two standard white A2 envelopes.
3. Cut the 4x12" strip into 3 pieces as desired to use on the card fronts.
Shown are the 3 cards made from the fern design, which I hope will be simple enough for everyone to complete. One is vertical, one horizontal and the 3rd (shown on top)is a long top fold card.
Be sure to check out the next 2 posts from today!
Tuesday night at Cyndy's house, we made three cards using three techniques. One was with a Spirelli "flower", one using folds and tags, and this one using a faux tile technique. Here's the procedure:
1. Stamp an image on white cardstock and color it in. We used a blender pen and inks to keep the colors subtle.
2. Cut the card stock into 4 vertical strips, spaced unevenly. Then take each strip and cut it across at random intervals in such a way that when you put them together, they give a "brick" effect. The trick here is to cut them one strip at a time and place them on the cardstock (in this case Navy) BEFORE they get mixed up!
3. Sponge the edges of each piece, one at a time. When you finish all of them, begin pasting or taping them to the darker cardstock, also one at a time.
4. Tie matching ribbon around the image and mount to a card.
Very time consuming, a little bit tedious, but soooo worth it!
Friday, April 4, 2008
After receiving my newest RST peg stamp set, I made this card using colors that would mimic the underlying designer paper. I'm really pleased with the results!
I'm also pleased that after purchasing a new basket to hold all the cards I've made that are ready to go at a moment's notice, I discovered that I had a stash of over 35 cards! So I guess it really pays to keep them all in one place. The basket is a white oblong with hoops for handles at each end and is just the right width to hold cards standing upright...plus it goes with the decor in my stamping tower. Thank you Michael's for the 50% off coupon!