Saturday, January 12, 2013

NEW QUILT DIE


This is a small die, just right for a card, but a challenge for using such small pieces.  The first one I did had to be scrapped; but this one turned out great.  I ran the die through my CB four times, using 4 paper patterns.

Starting with a red square, I ran some snail along the edges and across the middle to hold the tiny pieces as I went along.  First I used one of the four outlines as a frame and filled in with the dsp.  Then I punched out a star for the center, added a light green gem and mounted it on the card with dimensionals..

Although they look symmetrical, I discovered that the diamond shapes fit only one way in the spaces--something to consider when applying them.  One thing I would change next time is the border punch.  I think it would look better with a pointy edge rather than the scallops with this design.

This card is going to a friend who needs some encouraging words.

UPDATE:  I cut off the scalloped edge and added a dark green strip on the right.  I think this added some depth to the card, and now I'm happy with it.



TIP:   When taking a photo of a card that keeps popping open, use some temporary tape to hold it closed.  Then remove the adhesive when you're done.

2 comments:

Kim S said...

I LOVE that die too! At first I was going to say that I don't think you can ever go wrong with scallops - my scallop border punch is my MOST used supply by far. But then I saw your second card and it is wonderful!!

Bonnie said...

I like it better edged in the dark green too! Isn't this a nice die!