Thursday, November 29, 2012

FIRST ATTEMPT AT COLORED PENCILS!

 It's probably hard to tell by this picture, but it's been fun learning a new medium.  The colored pencils enable me to do some grown-up coloring!  Since I never did well in arts and crafts classes during my school years, I actually have to laugh!

The brand of pencils I used is "Fantasia" which I purchased on Amazon at half the cost of a set of Prismacolor pencils.  The only comparison I have is with the Crayola pencils I have in the tower, and these are much better indeed. YouTube is indispensable for learning new things, especially artist techniques like this.

The card I made looks a bit washed out here (but not IRL.)  I started with Very Vanilla cardstock for the base and stamped the poinsettia with Versamark as a background.  The red banner was embossed with a Cuttlebug leafy folder.  The flower was stamped twice on drawing paper, colored in, cut and layered.  Yellow glitter was added for the center.

What medium have you always wanted to try?  I took a seniors class in watercoloring two years ago, found out I didn't like working with it, and went on to other things.  I didn't look at that as a failure, but rather as an opportunity to try something new.  You're never too old to learn new things, so give it a try!

 Like I used to say to my kids when they balked at new foods, "What if you never tried ice cream?"

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Very pretty! I recently bought some Copic markers and want to learn how to use them.