Saturday, February 4, 2012

SPLIT COAST TO THE RESCUE!


Split Coast Stampers is such a wonderful resource, which is where I went for ideas to make a birthday card using the SU "Greetings, Earthling" set. Thank you, Understand Blue for your ideas.

I posed my alien under the moon on another planet where balloons could easily float upward. There are three for my grandson's third birthday.

Starting with a white card for the base, I tore the brown cs and pasted it onto a piece of black cs. I then punched a circle out of a piece of grayish cs, sponged it with black and white inks, and attached it with double-stick tape. I then sprayed my "scene" with Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Mist.

After stamping the alien on yellow dsp, I cut it out and colored in the circles with a purple glitter gel pen. While that was drying, I punched out the three balloons and placed them in position with mini glue dots, then added the embroidery floss strings, using TomBow glue. By then, the alien was dry enough to mount him to the card with a thick foam square over a black oval "shadow." I added his eye and glued the ends of the strings to the underside of his hand. (That's how they hold balloons on other planets...so I've heard.)

I could have stopped there, but I wanted to add some depth to the card. Using a Nestabilities die, I cut the opening and mounted the frame to the card front with black foam strips. Lastly, I added the greeting.

Children's cards are always a challenge for me; but I love how this one turned out!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Children's cards are a challenge to me too, Doris. You Aced it with this one though!

Lydia Fiedler said...

Oh my GOODNESS that is ADORABLE!!! That is one of my fave cards with that set - great job!!!

Thank you so much!!