Saturday, May 1, 2010

FATHERS DAY CARD


Magic Cards are a tough act to follow, but this Shadow Box Card turned out great! I know my dad will love it.

I ran into several challenges with this one. First, the image was not easy to color. Since most tools look alike (wooden or red handles, metal ends and similar shapes) it was hard to color them so that they didn't all look the same.

The next challenge was with the letters on the right side. First they had to be colored, and I succeeded in making them appear to be wood-grained. When I started to apply them to the card front, however, I realized that the self-stick edges over the opening would present a problem when the card was closed for mailing. After some consideration, the idea came to me: stick them onto acetate, trim them closely and then apply Scor-tape only to the parts that were on the card itself. Pretty smart, doncha think???

The final challenge was in photographing it without the image being darkened by a shadow. I could have used my flash, but it might have washed out the interior colors, already pale.

The rest was easy-- I glued the woodgrain dsp onto the cardstock before using the oval Nestie. I had the Phillips-head brads and twine in my stash for added effect. "Love you much" was just the right sentiment, too.

All that's left is to add a note on the back and send it off when it's time!

3 comments:

Teresa Kline said...

such a great Father's Day card, wonderfully done...have an awesome weekend!

enjoy *~*

Shelly said...

Fabulous card, Doris! It is going to be so nice for your dad.

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a great masculine card! Love the colors and the great folds! :o)