Saturday, November 15, 2014

TWO OUT OF THREE

NOTE:  Although it doesn't look it here, both these cards were done with the same colored pencils and match their red backgrounds perfectly.

I originally started out to make three cards with this new image from the Greenhouse Society (Technique Tuesday.)  However, one of the images came out blank in the middle and would have been unusable had I not layered it with the other.

The red petals were done with three shades of red.  The leaves were done with three shades of green and a brownish red.  Several months ago, I  took a class on colored pencils during which I learned to add the red (or maroon) to leaves and stems for shading.  I never would have thought that would work, but I really like how it makes the leaves more realistic.

The second card is the layered one, popped up with dimensionals.  The gold twine was wrapped around the panel three times and taped down on the back.  The bow was added with a glue dot on the front, a "sneaky" way to make it much easier.

Using colored pencils is a relaxing form of coloring images.  It's also very transportable, either when going on vacation or just out to the deck on warm, sunny days.  I love to stamp images on white cs and take them with my colored pencil tin to a quiet spot!

2 comments:

LeAnne said...

Beautifully done, Doris!

Bonnie said...

Beautiful poinsettias, Doris! Thanks for the tip on coloring the leaves. I didn't know that but will try to remember next time I'm coloring. We love the beautiful Thanksgiving card. Need details!