Friday, April 26, 2013

Once in a Lifetime Card

I intensely dislike "the dreaded pink," so I almost never use it in my cards--this IS a rarity!

Since the background paper is sooooo beautiful, I just HAD to use it for a May card.  You can't see it here, but the paper has metallic gold highlights, which gives the card some glimmer.  Of course, I also HAD to match the color of the tulips on the dsp, so out came my colored pencils.

First, I used Versafine Smokey Gray ink for the tulip blossom and stem, which gives them a softer  look.  After coloring the stem with two greens,  I began to color the tulip blossom.  Starting with the lightest color, I blended in a light peach and  two shades of the dreaded pink, working with the ones that best matched the dsp colors.  Once I was satisfied with the tulip, I stamped the greeting over the stem and cut it out with a label die.  I then chose a green scrap that best matched the shade of the leaves in the dsp and cut it out with a larger label die, a little more ornate than the white one. Before mounting the image to the card with dimensionals, I went over the tulip stamens with a black marker.

It truly is an adventure to work with the dreaded pink, although I think this color is appropriate for blossoms.  What is YOUR least favorite color?

TIP:  When working with colors you dislike, sunglasses really help!

3 comments:

Jeanne H said...

Dislike pink? It's un-American, teehee, just kidding. I dislike orange except for pumpkin cards in the fall. Your flowers card is beautiful. :)

Bonnie said...

Pink is perfect for this tulip and you've colored it perfectly! I dislike some shades of many colors but can usually find a shade that I do like. Basic Gray and Bravo Burgundy don't find their way to my cards unless I'm doing a color challenge. Hope you are seeing signs of Spring there.

Susan Raihala said...

Hmm, there aren't many colors I don't like in some context or another, but there is a particular shade of institutional mint green that makes me smell antiseptic every time I see it, no matter the context. Urgh.

Your card is so pretty in pink!