Tuesday, August 28, 2012

COMING SOON!

I've decided to start a new category just for beginners. I'll be posting cards using a minimum of materials.

If you've been a stamper for awhile, think back with me to our starting days. What supplies did you have? Remember the first time you saw gold embossing being demonstrated? Did your eyes pop like mine did? ...and didn't we all cut out images by hand before our CB days? Ten years ago when I started, ALL my supplies fit into a set of 3 plastic drawers from Kmart! Now, I have a "tower" full that I have to keep re-organizing (not that I'm complaining.)

One thing I miss is: the local stamp store. It's been replaced by the big chains further away with nobody to let you try things or show you new techniques as they evolve. However, now I make use of the internet for purchasing new stamp sets and supplies that are delivered right to my door--who would have thought... And now there's Utube demos and Splitcoast Stampers for ideas. WOW! What a world!

As I think of the new stamper, though, I realize that all the products and techniques we now take for granted must be overwhelming. So I came up with the idea of showing how to make beautiful cards with minimal supplies (or expense!). Look for something later today under Beginner Basics.

Meanwhile, leave a comment naming something in your stash you couldn't live without or the latest innovation you find most helpful. For me, it would be the clear stamps and acrylic mounts that enable you to see exactly where you're placing things, as well as how much less room they need for storage!

1 comment:

Kim S said...

What a wonderful idea!! Your question is hard though. I hadn't thought about clear stamps - but now I can't imagine going back. The tool that I always suggest to people is the cuttlebug (or anything else that embosses). To me, you can be a total beginner...and stamp perhaps a single, uncolored image on a square...but if you plop it on an embossed background, it looks professional!!