Tuesday, September 14, 2010

DE-CLUTTER DE HOUSE IS BACK!

Isn't that crisp Autumn air invigorating? Dontcha just wanna get your house back in order after all that hot and humid weather? It's de-cluttering time again!

I've been drawing inspiration from a new TV show on HGTV called "Get It Sold" which offers ideas even for people who aren't planning to sell or move. The only thing I want to move is the clutter. Here's a picture of my dining room after de-cluttering and rearranging some of the furniture to make it look more open and roomy.



I wish I had taken a "before" picture so you could see the difference. The left wall had two of the chairs up against it, one piled with "stuff". There was also a small cabinet, which I moved out to another room where it was actually needed. The wine rack (foreground left) was centered under the pictures, which made it feel crowded when people were sitting on the left side of the table.

According to "Get It Sold," there should be 3 feet of space between the table and other pieces for people to walk around it comfortably. This is not always possible, but you can give it that look by removing pieces that are "just there" taking up space. If my house were on the market, I'd remove the table and lamp in the back and replace the candle chandelier with an electric one. Then I'd also remove one of the table leaves to make it look even roomier.

Since our dining room is separate from an eat-in kitchen, there's no excuse for the table to become the usual catch-all spot. It never ceases to amaze me how much bigger a room can look once the clutter is gone and the floor is vacuumed!

(After taking this photo, I used some coupons to buy a new set of matching light brown cushions for the chairs.)

1 comment:

Germaine Ferrao -Lenn said...

I need to do that desperately!! LOL!!Doing much better, but still in an awful lot of pain! Take care and Hugs always! G