Tuesday, July 28, 2015

FORAL Z-FOLD CARD SAGA

This card gave me some trouble, and it took me a couple of hours to get it under control.  Here's what happened:

I came across a previously folded card in my stash, apparently left over from a class I did on Z-fold cards.  No problem there.

After deciding to use these beautiful roses from Penny Black's "Petal Power" and stamping them on white cs, I colored them with colored pencils.  No problem there either.

Next, I stamped the leaves with Peeled Paint Distress Ink and fussy cut them. Still no problem.

Then the "fun" began:  I decided to add the pre-printed vellum as a background, coloring the back first.  Then I added a clear liquid glue on each side and mounted it to the front panel.  That's when the problem started--the vellum curled away from the paper!  I kept pressing it back down until it dried and finally adhered to the cardstock; but then, the cardstock began to curl too!  Unbelievable!  I was beginning to feel like I had entered the Twilight Zone as an I Love Lucy routine!  The paper just kept getting more warped.

Finally, I added another piece of cardstock on the back of the panel, using double-stick Scotch tape, to give it more support.  By then, a couple of hours had passed and it was time for bed.  I stood the card up and turned out the lights, hoping for the best.  The next morning, it was better, though still a little warped.

If you'd like to receive this card for yourself, just leave a comment and I'll pick a winner (or loser, depending on how you look at it) on August 1st.  Hopefully, it will flatten out in the mail!



3 comments:

Bonnie said...

LOL, sometimes these things happen! The photo doesn't show the curl. It looks pretty to me!

Jeanne said...

I think your card is great! Love the colors on the flowers.

Kim S said...

Adhering vellum - the curse of a cardmaker's life!! I read somewhere that if things curl, you should lightly spritz the reverse side with water and then lay it flat with something on top. It might work - but the problem that I usually have is that I have dimensional stuff on the front so I can't lay it flat!!

Even with your problems, I do like your use of the patterned paper - it really is a great backdrop to the bright flowers.