Saturday, April 4, 2015

THREE OF A KIND--Floral

Margot's Flower is the title for this stamp from Technique Junkies.  I saw this at the Allentown Stamp Show and didn't even hesitate.  Today I decided to try coloring it three different ways.

First, I stamped it on a piece of watercolor paper and painted it with an aqua  painter and Distress Inks:  Fired Brick, Peeled Paint and Wild Honey.  For the center of the flower, I used Wild Honey and my Wink of Stella brush.  The black was done with India Ink Black.  I used a pale purple colored pencil to outline the image on the bottom and right sides.


For the second flower, I used colored pencils on Ivory cs.  I like to use 3 colors at a time, the lightest first.  Then I add the darkest and use the medium tones for burnishing.  The center was colored black, then I added some tiny black gems.

TIP:  I purchase alphabet sets of pearls, rhinestones, red and black gems to separate and use on cards.

The purple card was done with markers, which I find the most difficult to use on large images because they aren't as blendable as the other media.  After I took this photo, I added more purple to the outer areas of the petals, leaving more white (and contrast) toward the center.  The center was done with a lime green Spica pen.

It was quite a challenge to come up with three different ways to color this image, but I like how they turned out.  My favorite is the first one (watercolor).  What's yours?




1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Hi Doris, I'm always partial to watercolor but I love the one colored with markers too. You blended beautifully! I love the scriptures and quotes. Beautiful fonts! Hope you are having a joyful Easter!