Tuesday, October 27, 2015
Monday, October 26, 2015
The sentiment is from a different set (Autumn Collage by Sweet & Sassy.)
Sunday, October 25, 2015
Spidey, from an old SU! set, makes another appearance. This time he's mounted on a piece of dsp web, sporting some Wink of Stella.
The third card will go to my youngest grandsons who really are sweet.
All three cards took very little time to make--the dsp does all the work. The BOO!'s were die cut with my Big Shot, and Spidey was quickly fussy cut.
Happy Halloween everyone! Don't eat too much candy!
Saturday, October 24, 2015
Saturday, October 17, 2015
First, I stamped over the dsp with Versamark and then clear embossed it. Next I sponged it with Tea Dye Distress Ink and then Walnut Stain Distress Ink, being careful to let some of the lighter color show around the edges. After rubbing the excess ink off with a tissue, I tied the jute around it and mounted it on the card as shown.
This will make a nice masculine card.
Friday, October 16, 2015
The birch trees on the card were actually straws that were to be the broom handles. After checking out the alternate projects posted on YouTube, I saw someone cut the straws, smooth them down with a bone folder and glue them to a card. I couldn't resist doing the same thing and attaching them with glue dots to hold them securely.
The pumpkin stamp, Cajun Craze ink and sentiment were provided. I added the blue ink and the die cut deer. The slightly curved tree trunks and the brown "grass" give this card a lot of texture.
Stay tuned for more alternatives...I feel a shaker card coming on...
Thursday, October 15, 2015
Now that "butterfly season" is over (summer) I've turned my attention to bird stamps. This one is from the old SU set, "Touch of Nature," combined with the newer "Awesomely Artistic."
After taking the photograph, I stamped a birthday greeting inside and added a few sequins on the front for a "Postage Friendly" finish!
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
Instead of attaching the postcard to the orange panel with dimensionals, I glued a slightly smaller piece of fun foam to the back and glued that to the orange panel. This will keep it firm while going through the mail.
After roughing the edges of the panel with a distress tool (you can also use your finger nail) I tied the jute around it and attached the panel to the card front. I then added it to my Thanksgiving card collection.
Tuesday, October 13, 2015
When using the rule of thirds, the "sweet spots" are where the (undrawn) vertical and horizontal lines meet. In this case, that would be where the flower and the greeting are placed. I don't know why this works, but the use of thirds is more pleasing to the eye. From left to right, your eye is drawn first to the flower and then to the greeting, a very logical progression.
An easy way to test this is to draw lines on a piece of vellum that you can see through when placed over a card. This is a helpful way to make your cards look more balanced.
Monday, October 12, 2015
Why odd numbers are more pleasing to the eye than even ones, in design that is, I don't know. I just know it works. This card shows both. The three pearls at the bottom work very well, but the two at the top look out of place (to me.) Even the single sequin works better than two would. So once I finish this post, the two upper pearls will be removed.
One of the most common mistakes beginners make on cards is to over embellish, especially with gems and sequins. If the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria were good enough for Columbus, then 3 is good enough for me. Happy Columbus Day!
Thursday, October 8, 2015
The striped dsp has some sparkle in it, which adds just enough accent to the card front. Another easy card!
Wednesday, October 7, 2015
Tuesday, October 6, 2015
The hardest part of this card was gluing down the leaves with TomBow Mono glue. Once I run out of these, though, I will use solid ones. That should cut down the time to under 5 minutes per card!
Monday, October 5, 2015
TIP: I came up with a better way (for me) to store my
12x12" dsp. Since I no longer do scrapbooking, I cut each sheet into 4x6" panels for cards and store them upright in a clear plastic container on my table. This makes them handy and keeps them in plain sight.
Sunday, October 4, 2015
To make this wreath, I punched out a circle of fun foam to use as a guide for my "twig" base. I loosely traced the first circle around it to avoid making a wreath that was oval or square-ish. After making several circles in three different browns with SU markers, I used peg stamps for the leaves. Then I splattered the card front with brown Distress Ink, added the "thanks" and attached the embroidery floss bow.
This makes for a quick and easy Thanksgiving card with lots of variations. As shown in yesterday's Simple Saturday post, it also makes an even quicker Christmas card.
BTW, I'm still having to get a lot of rest because of the Epstein Barr virus, but I cut back on my activities for awhile. This leaves more time to spend stamping in the "Tower."