Tuesday, June 30, 2009
...to let the background paper do some of the work, yes? The blue swirls in this SU dsp were just on one corner, so I cut it to use on this card. I wanted to cut off the SU words in the upper right corner, so I used my punch and trimmed it to fit. Then I rounded off just that one corner to highlight it a bit more. Little details like that really add a lot of interest, don't they?
Can you tell that I enjoy using the "God's Beauty" set? and the two oval punches?...and that I seem to be into question marks today?
Hope you're having a great summer! Remember, if you're stuck indoors because of high heat or lots of rain, it's good stamping weather!
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Here's a card I made yesterday. When I was done, even after adding some blue gems on the butterfly for bling and some tiny pearls in the flower centers, I thought there was still too much emptiness.
By adding just a few freehand dashes around the edges with a black marker, the images no longer "float" on the card front. The "frame" pulls the images together without distracting from them.
Isn't it amazing how one little change can make such a big difference!
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Reminiscent of my own cat lurking in the hostas (scroll down a few days for photo) this one is hiding in the ferns at night. I got the idea from Stamp TV, using the technique called "Pullin' Pastels".
Just to show how "great minds DO think alike" take a look at Germaine's post where she made ATC's that look strikingly similar...amazing! (Click on Stampilicious link at right.) Since I like the way she put the moon in her background, I'm thinking of adding a half moon stamp in the upper left corner of my card. What do you think?
UPDATE: HERE'S HOW I ENHANCED THIS CARD TO GIVE IT A MORE FINISHED LOOK BY USING A WHITE GEL PEN. I ALSO ADDED SOME STARS TO GIVE IT A NIGHT TIME FEEL. THE HALF MOON IN THIS SU SET WOULD HAVE ADDED ANOTHER "FACE" WHICH I THOUGHT MIGHT DETRACT FROM THE CAT. I THINK IT'S DONE NOW!
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Here's a new card with an old set.
I ran into some trouble with this one. To the left of the embroidery floss knot is a square eyelet that I smooshed with my Cropodile and had to improvise. Since I couldn't pull the floss through the hole, I made a new hole next to it, tied the knot and covered the eyelet with a green gem (not too visible in this scan.) Looks intentional...
There's always some way to save a card!
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Since I no longer have a sewing machine, I have to make my "quilts" look like they were stitched. Here's one I patterned after Lisa Johnson's post on "Poppy Paperie" using a paper piercer and a white gel pen for the "stitches."
The rose is done by tearing 3 circles out of paper, crinkling them up, then edging them with ink. (Similar method for the leaves, sans ink.) The leaves and bottom rose layer are attached to the quilt with ds tape, and the two top rose layers are secured with dimensionals. A gem in the center and alongside the saying finish it off with a little bit of bling.
I plan to use this masterpiece as a welcome card for a new Silver Stamper member.
Friday, June 12, 2009
This one is from Clean and Simple Stamping, and it certainly is both. For the square, I used my Score Pal to make grooves around the image. Then I used the white gel pen to add dots between the grooves.
To finish, I stamped another Pocket Silhouette on the bottom right with Versamark and overstamped the greeting with Olive Colorbox ink. The green gem adds a little bling.
Thank you Natasha Trupp for such an easy card!
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Here's another card I made using just a corner punch for this quilt. It's very easy to make:
First, choose three coordinating dsp's and punch out 4 squares of each. I used a 1 3/8" punch for this card.
Arrange the squares on another piece of cardstock or dsp, butting them together and taping them down. Next, add faux stitching with a black pen or marker. Then cut it down to whatever size will fit best on your card and attach it to the card front. You can use another punch for the corners, if desired.
After mounting the quilt, add images for whatever the occasion and embellish. Very easy!
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Here's a masculine birthday card where the image swings away to reveal the hidden message. Then you open the card as usual for the additional greeting and signatures.
The balloon on the left is a brad with a piece of embroidery floss attached to the back.
Sunday, June 7, 2009
This week, I took a class offered for seniors at our local community college. Since I never tried pen and ink before, I thought it would be fun--and it was! The class was two hours, but it seemed like only 10 minutes.
Look for some pen and ink surprises in future cards!
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Yep, I CASED this card from Wendy Weixler using a flower and blue gem for the center. It took all of five minutes to put this whole card together. With cool colors on white, especially with blue flowers (darker in real life,) I think it makes a nice summer card.
Thanks for the idea, Wendy!
(Check out her blog at www.wickedlywonderfulcreations.blogspot.com.)
Monday, June 1, 2009
As you can see, my latest SU order has arrived! I used three coordinated prints to punch out squares for the quilt, then used my black marker pen to make faux stitches. I had to borrow Cyndy's Top Note die, which gives it that extra measure of style.
After mounting one of the trees from the "Thoughts and Prayers" set, I added three matching jewels. The card is now ready for a verse inside...
What fun to have new toys!